Simple dinner for one, from my pantry.

   I have my 1/4 rates to pay and a bulk mix for my dogs this fortnight coming.  So this next fortnight is going to be tight for me.  I am so glad I do have a well stocked pantry and am growing herbs and garlic, Eygptian onions (walking onions), Silver beet and broad beans. This gives me the ability to not need to buy much this fortnight. I have also enough meat for the dogs for three weeks which will take me to my next payment.

Yesterday I realised I was decling in my mental well being.  I am so appreciative that I am well enough to notice and hopefully reduce impact or triggers.   

 I am looking at ways to eat healthy without having to spend much money.    I am not a vegetarian or vegan. Nor am I gluten intolerant.   I do enjoy all sorts of cooking and this recipe is vegan and gluten free.  This recipe provided with enough for at least two meals for me.  I did add a small green salad from things in my vegie garden for dinner tonight.  

I had some Chickpea fllour (besan, garam,) and found a recipe to make a pattie with it.  So easy, and suits gluten free and vegans if you use coconut oil to cook it in and dairy free yoghurt.  I do have a good pantry and grow many herbs. I used olive oil.  

 
Dinner tonight 


Carrot and sweet corn fritters (patties) can be eaten hot or cold fromhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/carrot_and_sweetcorn_78971
 they say it makes six palm sized fritters.  so a meal for two or two meals for one
    
2 carrots grated coarsely
200gms (1/2 )can of sweet corn drained(I had frozen in the freezer so used this instead)
80gm/3oz of chick pea flour (garam, besan,)
2 spring onions thinly diced.  ( I used a leaf off my walking onion and garlic from the garden)
20gms fresh root ginger  finely grated (it says peel but I just wash it and grate it without peeling) I imagine you could replace fresh with ground. I dont use  ground ginger much so am not sure how much)
1 red chili chopped (seeds removed) I could not find my dried chili  so left this out.
1Tbsn pumpkin/pepita or mixed  seeds  
1tspn garam masala (optional I did not have it )
salt and pepper (most homes already have these and oil for cooking so these are not included in the pricing.)

Each serving provides 432 kcal, 12g protein, 38g carbohydrates (of which 14.5g sugars), 23.5g fat (of which 15g saturates), 10g fibre and 0.6g salt.


 Suggested way to serve is with yoghurt or vegan yoghurt .with chopped up mint  which I have growing.  a small salad.  oh suggestion is to serve also with lime or lemon wedges.  I have a lemons growing so had those.

Method
1. Grate carrots, into a bowl add the drained sweetcorn, chick pea flour,spring onions, seeds and spices.  add pepper and salt to taste. Mix well and leave to stand for 5minutes, during this time I made the yoghurt and mint sauce. (I also added a little water as mine seemed too dry).

2. Heat oil for 2tblspn coconut or oil of choice to stop patties from sticking even in a non stick pan. in a large pan on medium heat.   take the mix and flatten firmly into a pattie. (I halved the mix and made four good size patties)  Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  


Review.  I loved them!  I will be cooking these regularly as they are so quick and simple. I can make enough for dinner and another meal at least for me.  They are delicious hot or cold.   The flavours are really good combination, and I will use chili and garam masala (when i can find my packet) next time to compare. The outside is crunchy and the inside is a good texture.  Chickpea flour is nutty in flavour.  The pepitas add a crunch and more flavour,  I might toast the pepitas next time.  

This is a keeper recipe and will be regular on my menu.  They are so quick and simple that you can whip them up and be eating them within 15 minutes max.  With summer coming it will be easy to have the as they take so little time to cook the house wont heat up and are great cold.
For my mental illness and physical health good fresh food is great for me.       
The yoghurt with the mint is a lovely addition. 

I try to make my own just using non-homogenised milk from Ashgrove Tasmania, I can make 2litres of yoghurt for less than the price of 1kg of purchased yoghurt greek plain style.   I never buy flavoured yoghurt as I have home made jam and fruit sauce or frozen fruit to flavour it.

The following is the costing of making this meal buying all ingredients from Woollworths online pricing to give you an idea.  When I shop I usually go to  a bulk shop for flour pepitas and spices which is usually cheaper and closer to wear I live so a saving in petrol too.  I can also buy exactly the weight I need for things I may not use much.  So I don't have to buy a packet.  
You really do have to check things out in big supermarkets. I  don't shop online but it was a great way to price the items.  I looked up pepitas, and priced them. I am not sure why I decided to look up pumpkin seeds, glad I did they were more expensive than pepitas!  I'm not talking organic here.  They are so similar I will always go pepita if I am saving money.  Calling them Pumpkin kernels is going to cost you $2.00 a kg more at Woollies.

Pricing from Woolworth's online  27/11/19
product
price paid 
total volume
volume used
price for volume
volume left
total cost qty recipe
total grocery cost
chick pea flour
$3.60
0330gms
80gms
$0.88
250gms
$0.88
$3.60
carr
$2.20
1kg
2 carrots
$0.74
0
$1.62
$5.80
tinned corn
$1.00
420gm
200gms
$0.46
220gms
$2.08
$6.80
fresh ginger
$25.00
1kg
20gms
$0.50
80gms
$2.50
$9.30
pepitas
$4.20
300gms
15gms
$0.21
275gms
$2.79
$12.09
garam masala
$2.15
29gms
4.2gms
$0.35
25.8gms
$3.14
$15.23
yogurt
$5.00
1kg
100gms 
$0.50
900gms
$3.64
$18.87
mint leaves
$3.00
bunch 
15gms
$0.50
lots
$4.14
$23.01
lemon
$1.26   
   1
   1
$1.26
   0
$5.40
$24.27


This would be a very expensive meal in my budget if I had to buy all the ingredients at one time.  For me this is the reason I have a pantry that I maintain and am working with.  












































 

Comments